Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Vegetarian Larb



I remember trying Larb back in the day when I wasn't vegetarian and I remember the lovely zingy flavour combination of freshly squeezed lime, lemon grass, chilli and coriander mmmm. Traditionally a Laotian dish that is largely recognised as Thai - I guess there aren't many Laotian restaurants around! I have been dreaming up this vegetarian version of Larb for a while now but only just got around to it the other day. It's my first attempt and I am sure I can improve on the texture the next time - nevertheless it was enjoyed by all - meat eaters included!

I got my first share of cauliflower in my veggie box this week, and feeling anything but like cauliflower and cheese sauce I decided to turn this wintery vegetable into a fresh summer delight- the result? I want more now!!!

I haven't attempted a raw version however this was how I originally envisaged it - so you raw babies know how to do it! Lose the wok and just mix it all together! :)


Ingredients

The Wok
  • Sesame oil / peanut oil a few tablespoons of each
  • 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
  • 1 red birds eye chilli finely chopped (adapt this to your spicy tolerance - for less spice remove the seeds, for more simply add the whole thing and maybe more!)
  • 2 handfuls of mushrooms (I used button I think but any will do - I think a variety would also be great)
  • Tofu crumbled optional (not necessary but I had about 50 grams in the fridge that needed using, it does add a bit of texture)
  • 1/2 head of cauliflower
Method
  1. Place the cauliflower in a food processor and process until it looks grainy like rice (you can also use a grater) and set aside.

  1. Heat a large frying pan or wok over medium to high heat. Ad a few tablespoons of peanut oil and sesame oil and quickly fry the chilli and ginger. 
  2. Add the crumbled tofu, mushrooms saute for a few minutes. Add the cauliflower and saute for a further 5 minutes or until golden and lightly cooked. remove from the wok and place into a large bowl and let cool a little for about 15 minutes

The Dressing
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce ( you could also substitute this with coconut sugar or agave nectar and add some extra chilli to the mix)
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
  • 1/2 red onion finely sliced
Method
  1. Prepare all ingredients and mix together
The Fresh Stuff
  • Bunch of coriander chopped including about 1-2 inches of the stalks
  • Handful of mint chopped 
  • Head of baby cos lettuce, leaves separated and washed
  • Bean sprouts
  • Two handfuls of raw cashew nuts chopped or smashed (I like to place them in a tea towel and either smash them against a brick wall or place them on the bench and give them a whack with a wooden spoon)

Assemble
  1. Poor the dressing over the wok fried veggies and stir through the chopped coriander and mint. Taste for flavour and adjust to taste by adding more lime or chilli or soy sauce depending on personal preference
  2. Spoon a few tablespoons into each baby cos leaf and arrange on a platter (they can be tricky to balance!)
  3. Top with bean sprouts and cashews and garnish with some more coriander

No comments:

Post a Comment