Sunday, April 29, 2012

Bengali Sweets in Kolkata, India


Girish Ch Dey & Nakur Ch Nandy... Sounds crazy and I have absolute no idea what it means but I came across this place while looking on trip advisor. As it was rated as the number one place to eat sweets in Kolkata I couldn't miss it!

I was a little wary at first as I am not a huge fan of the traditional Indian style, milk powdered, buttery, spiced sweets, and after having a ridiculously violently ill experience after eating the deep fried, sugar syrup soaked Jalebi and Gulab Jamun, I usually avoid them at all cost! However, these sounded different with a description entailing a combination of a cottage cheese type of milk product and jaggery (rapadura sugar).... Thankfully they were! 'Mishti' means sweets and there are most likely hundreds mishti shops around Kolkata that sell something similar but I wanted something trust worthy, highly recommended and popular to make sure I wouldn't be spending my night on the train hugged around a filthy toilet.

Apparently established in 1251, this place has had a long lived reputation! There were middle class Indians crowding around the counter and one customer who (thankfully!) spoke English was buying a huge shopping bag full of them to take back to Mumbai.

With a selection of sweets all same same but different, butterscotch, raisin, chocolate, rose water and a pink one (!) all balls and squares. They were soft and squishy with almost a cookie dough type if texture and super sweet but delicious! However eating too many of these could make you sick pretty quickly!





No comments:

Post a Comment